Chimney Rock State Park (Bat Cave NC)

Chimney Rock at Chimney Rock State Park is located near Lake Lure in the NC mountains. The park is nestled in Hickory Nut Gorge adjacent to the towns of Lake Lure and Bat Cave.  Chimney Rock, the 535-million-year-old monolith for which the Park is named, is considered one of the most iconic sites in North Carolina. From the top, you see the 75-mile panoramic views of Hickory Nut Gorge and Lake Lure.  It’s really a fantastic park to visit, with great hiking trails, breathtaking scenery and plenty to do to keep you busy all day. 

(Click on photos to enlarge.)



 Rather than hike up to the top, I was a big crybaby
and took the elevator (but, I did hike back down it!)

 The view from the top is AMAZING!


  
  






This is the "Opera Box"

 More incredible views
 It does kind of look like the Devil!
 This sign didn't scare me, but it was a major
hike UPHILL to get to Exclamation Point (the highest
point in the park)
 Endless stairs and uphill trails
I have never seen this many stairs
 It's very pretty on the way up

Finally!  I get near the top!

 This is the highest point in the park
 This is the best view of the Hickory Nut Gorge




 This is the hike down from the top of the Chimney.
It's a strange little place you have to squeeze through.



 This is a cave on the way down - it is lighted
so you can go inside of it
 I was so exhausted, I had to stop for a no frills lunch
 ANOTHER CHALLENGE!
 Real easy going down these steps (it doesn't
occur to me yet that I will have to come back up them!)
The hike to Hickory Nut Falls is very scenic and a pretty easy trail.
  
 More great views along the way!

 HICKORY NUT FALLS




 And . . . the hike all the way back

No comments:

Post a Comment